October 23, 2020 | Article | by REQ Events | Public Relations
Communications Strategies For Corporate Fundraising and M&A
In a two-part webinar series, Elizabeth Shea, EVP of Public Relations for REQ, sat down with expert panelists to discuss the best communication strategies to prepare for different growth opportunities and financial scenarios.
Session 1: Communications Strategies for Corporate Fundraising
In the first discussion, which focused on preparing for a capital raise, Elizabeth was joined by Parag Sheth, Managing Director of Outcome Capital and Board Member of Mindshare and the Northern Virginia National Chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth. Parag is a venture capital investor and a trusted advisor and business partner to companies in all growth spectrum stages.
Together, Elizabeth and Parag walked through the steps and key messages critical to organizations that are interested in a capital raise. They focused on how to creatively think of your company’s value proposition and growth strategy, land on the radar screen of the investor or acquirer you are targeting, and create the most successful outcomes.
Key Communication Strategies for Capital Fundraising:
- Start preparing and doing the legwork 12 to 18 months in advance.
- There are various ways to raise capital. Ask yourself what type of capital source is right for you and where is this going to come from. Depending on the stage of your business, there are different opportunities that can help you narrow down your options.
- Develop a buyer persona and build your communications plan around that persona. Identify what your ideal investor or acquirer looks like. Are they regional? Are they strategic? What type of industry are they in?
- Do your homework and create a meaningful and methodical way to reach potential investors. This might involve networking via LinkedIn and asking a mutual connection to make a warm introduction to a prospective investor.
- Hone your public relations strategy. View potential investors as you would an audience. Create press releases that showcase milestones and momentum. Apply for leadership and growth awards and educate analysts on your company. This can show investors that you are backed by market support.
- Think of strategic media coverage during the process. Find the right outlets that will get your name in front of the right people.
- It takes a long time to build a relationship with a prospective investor. Start early to ensure that the trust is there, and that it is the right cultural fit.
Watch the Full REQ+A Webinar on Communications Strategies for Corporate Fundraising
We have also prepared a complementary Communications Checklist for Corporate Fundraising to help guide your strategy and planning process for a capital raise.
Session 2: Communications Strategies for M&A
Next, Nick Perdikis, CEO and Chief Revenue Officer at Devensoft, joined Elizabeth and Parag for a conversation focused on crafting a communications strategy in preparation for M&A. Devensoft is a B2B SaaS provider helping companies around the world better manage, execute, and deliver on their M&A programs. Nick brings more than 30 years in the information technology industry and, with his addition to the panel, these three experts dove into a fascinating discussion of successful communication strategies and suggestions for organizations to take on their M&A journeys.
Elizabeth, Parag, and Nick discussed crafting the right communications and PR strategies to best position your organization for M&A, on both the buy-side and sell-side. The three talked through actionable ideas on how to gain the attention of strategic and financial acquirers, as well as perspectives on the M&A community going into 2021.
Key Communications Strategies for M&A
- There has been an uptick in M&A events during the past few months and they are predicted to continue to increase in Q4 and into 2021. This is a result of increased comfort levels with our “new normal” remote working situation.
- Whether on the buy-side or sell-side, the first step is to always make sure your value proposition is clear and understandable to the markets.
- Start your internal communications strategy early, and make sure both sides are involved. Be sure to not let details go to the employee level too quickly because of the impact it could have on the business.
- Be deliberate. Take the time to do one-on-one meetings, ask questions, and be extra diligent with all parties involved during the merger or acquisition process. By losing valuable face-to-face time today, it is crucial to take the extra step.
- Use the right tools and software to organize your company and teams. This will ensure everyone is on the same page and things are running smoothly.
- Momentum should not slow down after the merger or acquisition is complete. Be sure to continue to showcase the team and efforts.
- Don’t forget about your customers! Factor in your plan how you will communicate with customers so they are clear on what this merger or acquisition means for them.
- Don’t be afraid to bring in experts. Having all the right professionals and tools is well worth it.
Watch the Full REQ+A Webinar on Communications Strategies for M&A
Contact our speakers:
Elizabeth and our partners would love to hear from you! For more information or questions regarding communication strategies for corporate fundraising or M&A please contact them at:
- Elizabeth Shea - eshea [at] req.co
- Parag Sheth - psheth [at] outcomecapital.com
- Nick Perdikis - nperdikis [at] devensoft.com
Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates on upcoming REQ+A webinars.