Account Manager, Media Relations
We’re seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Account Manager, Media Relations position within our Washington, DC office. As an Account Manager, you’ll work closely with REQ’s Public Relations’ leadership team to deliver top results to our clients.
We build brands online, and we're proud to work with some of the best technology and consumer brands, non-profits, advocacy groups, small businesses, associations, and influential people. Our diverse client base means a variety of fascinating challenges and learning experiences for you. Expect stimulating projects, educational opportunities, involvement in strategy, and a fun team that values your contributions.
At REQ, you'll be surrounded by people who are curious, resourceful, creative, enthusiastic, passionate, and proactive. We're a team of thinkers, creators, and builders who act as trusted advisers to our clients and stewards of their marketing budgets. We enjoy each other’s company and have fun while we work, which is why we were named as a Best Place to Work in the Washingtonian and Washington Business Journal.
- Have a solid understanding of the trends facing the industry of each client: i.e. mobile, security, enterprise software trends, business trends, etc.
- Understand and clearly articulate the primary business goals of each client.
- Articulate the baseline strategy for his or her account with an understanding of the basic tactics to be executed. Be able to provide counsel on paths to take or directions to turn.
- Understand how the tactics relate back to the primary business goals.
- Master the ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities across accounts.
- Understand the specifics of kicking off an account and all that is involved to delegate and start account on best foot to impress the client.
- Proficiency with monthly estimators and plans, building in account efficiencies that keep retainers within 15% of budget, or as specified by management.
- Capable of producing top-tier placements and top-tier pitches for his or her clients.
- Play an active role in the business development process.
- Lead pitching strategy session with creative ideas.
- Pitch in on ad hoc client requests to gain additional knowledge in alternate areas.
- Efficiently and effectively delegate activities on accounts to team members and hold them accountable.
- Capable of working in a team environment, serving as a mentor for junior staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively connect with clients, effectively managing client relations while being viewed as someone who provides strategic value.
- Kick-off and lead a new account, motivating and managing team members.
- Demonstrate the ability to retain accounts, proactively recalibrating strategy when required and keeping deliverables and metrics at expected levels.
- Build relationship with primary client contact, initiating face-to-face meetings, lunches etc. on a quarterly basis. Initiate communication with client outside of scheduled/structured meetings.
- Produce a wide variety of thoughtful, strategic and error-free communications (e.g. press releases, authored articles, pitches, etc.).
- Proficient in social media for business including blogging and social networks.
- Secure and manage analyst briefings and tours.
- Be proficient at drafting abstracts and securing speaking opportunities and awards.
- Can tackle in-depth topics and write succinctly, efficiently, and with impact.
- 6-10 years experience in the technology communications industry.
- Bachelors degree preferred in the field of communications, public relations, journalism and/or marketing.
- Strong leadership skills, and ability to supervise others on a team (prior supervisory experience a plus).
- Strong knowledge of and experience with social media, community building, inbound marketing.
- Possess excellent writing skills. Can tackle in-depth topics and write succinctly, efficiently, and with impact.
- Exhibit strong understanding of macro technology and business trends.
- Ability to run large accounts with strategic oversight.
- DC metro area candidates only.
Salary commensurate with experience and includes a full benefits package.
To apply, please email a resume, dover letter and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Account Manager, Media Relations" in the subject line.
No contractors or recruiters, please.
REQ is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national origin or age.