Account Director, Public Relations
We’re seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Public Relations Account Director position within our Vienna, VA office. As an Account Director, you’ll work closely with REQ’s Public Relations’ leadership team to deliver top results to our clients.
We build brands online, and we're proud to work with some of the best technology and consumer brands, non-profits, advocacy groups, small businesses, associations, and influential people. Our diverse client base means a variety of fascinating challenges and learning experiences for you. Expect stimulating projects, educational opportunities, involvement in strategy, and a fun team that values your contributions.
- Take the lead on account reviews, account strategy, red flags/crises and recommendations.
- Drive media relations strategy on accounts; lead by example with mastery of securing top placements.
- Help drive strategic direction on assigned accounts; serve as a "final stop" and trusted client advisor for strategy, managing team members, etc., with minimal involvement from executive leadership.
- Provide business strategy across accounts, being able to succinctly counsel on such strategies as pitching an exclusive, managing a web content project, driving an analyst tour, etc.
- Manage teams within 10% of the retainer, unless directed otherwise, initiating proactive client discussions when scope creep occurs or there is danger of not delivering satisfactorily for an account.
- Manage monthly account work, proactively communicating with management if account work and retainers are misaligned. Monitor client results and account retainers.
- Produce a wide variety of thoughtful, strategic and error-free communications (e.g. press releases, authored articles, pitches, etc.) on deadline.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage workflow, reports, invoice processes, etc. associated with an account, or have delegated responsibilities to other members of the account team.
- Support executive team with proactive solutions to firm, account and staffing challenges.
- Participate in larger company initiatives and projects (such as training and goals development).
- Serve as a member of the Account Management team, attending Account Managers meetings and providing strategic business insight to team issues.
- Demonstrate understanding of financial issues of the firm, bringing solutions regularly to help build and run a profitable, successful company.
- Recommend hiring, promotion and termination decisions for direct reports.
- Lead training programs for staff and interns.
- Directly manage account staff, including facilitating regular 1:1's and performance management. Establish quarterly goals for each direct report that are forward-thinking and strategically geared toward the individual's professional and personal goals.
- Communicate and reinforce REQ core values to account teams and direct reports.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively connect with clients, effectively managing client relations while being viewed as someone who provides strategic value.
- Kick-off and lead a new account, motivating and managing team members.
- Demonstrate the ability to retain accounts, proactively recalibrating strategy when required and keeping deliverables and metrics at expected levels.
- Build relationship with primary client contact, initiating face-to-face meetings, lunches etc. on a quarterly basis. Initiate communication with client outside of scheduled/structured meetings. Business Development and Marketing
- Participate in new business calls as required, leading the account direction section of the call.
- Verbally articulate the elevator pitch of your client accounts and discuss differentiators.
- Contribute toward a group pitching strategy session with creative ideas.
- Actively strive to attain greater share of the client, offering value-added services for upsell.
- Contribute to proposal and capabilities development for new business, lending creative thinking and strategy for customized deliverables.
- Regularly network, representing REQ in the PR and tech communities.
- Exhibit a detailed knowledge of reporters, publications and opinion influencers related to assigned accounts.
- Exhibit comprehension of the technology and business issues connected to assigned accounts, communicate to the rest of staff.
- Demonstrate holistic thinking on accounts, providing counsel on customized programs to meet client’s needs (e.g. social media, community building, content marketing and inbound marketing).
- Understand and use social media for business including blogging and social networks
- Secure and manage analyst briefings and tours when required
- Be proficient at drafting abstracts and securing speaking opportunities and awards
- Provide ad hoc strategic media relations and media writing counsel to his/her team members as well as direct reports.
- Understand the infrastructure for the agency, including, but not limited to: workflow planning, PR plans, and tools available (time keeping, media databases, etc.).
- Adherence to REQ policies as outline in the company handbook (e.g. time entry, PTO requests, and flexible work schedules)
- 7-10 years experience in the technology communications industry
- Bachelors degree preferred in the field of communications, public relations, journalism and/or marketing
- Strong leadership skills, and prior supervisory experience
- Strong knowledge of and experience with social media, community building, inbound marketing
- Possess excellent writing skills. Can tackle in-depth topics and write succinctly, efficiently, and with impact
- Exhibit strong understanding of macro technology and business trends
- Ability to run large accounts with minimal strategic oversight
- DC metro area candidates only
Salary commensurate with experience and includes a full benefits package. Please include writing samples in the application below.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Account Director, Public Relations" in the subject line.
No contractors or recruiters, please.
REQ is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national origin or age.